The biggest and greatest software update to macOS in years is out now. This update has made major improvements and amazing features to the operating system that powers the Apple MacBook. Also, the macOS Big Sur holds a new Control center, safari improvements, new notification features, and much more. It has also added a new system sound, a new symbol in various menus, and sidebars to look across different apps consistently.
If you expect it to update automatically, you need to ensure that your Mac is connected to power, and you have to wait further. Also, if you cannot wait for the new features, reading the next few details will enable you to update the latest macOS version.
However, before that, it is ideal to know what is new in the macOS Big Sur.
What is new in macOS Big Sur?
- May 24, 2021: Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.4 This is the latest version of the macOS Big Sur that Apple has released. This update carries the paid subscriptions in the Podcasts app and fixes several bugs.
- May 3, 2021: Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 This update focuses on adding security fixes to macOS.
- April 26, 2021: Apply releases macOS Big Sur 11.3 In this update released by Apple, the new sorting options are for reminders, and you can use Stereo Home Pods as a default audio source.
Can your Mac run Mac OS 11 Big Sur?
Before downloading the macOS 11 Big Sur, it is ideal to ensure that your Mac runs the software.
Below are some of the Macs that you can install macOS 11 Big Sur:
- 12-inch MacBook (2015)
- MacBook Air (2013)
- MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
- Mac mini (2014)
- iMac (2014)
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro (2013)
Back up your device before updating to macOS 11 Big Sur
Whenever you move to upgrade the operating system. We will recommend you back up the files on your Mac. This action is performed to check out if anything goes wrong; you can restore the machine to its previous working order quickly.
Also, right before you download macOS Big Sur, you need to ensure that your Mac is backed up. If you are looking for more details of how to download and back up, read the next few paragraphs, and you will be clear with it.
How to download and install macOS updates?
- Snap-on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen.
- Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click Software Update.
- Click Update Now next to the macOS update.
Your Mac will need to restart after the download has been installed, making sure you save your progress for any program you are currently working in. If still you face any difficulty and seeking help, go for Laptop/PC Repairs.
How to turn on automatic updates?
You do not have to update macOS every time a new one launches manually. Instead, you can turn on automatic updates, and it will download in the background.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen.
- Choose System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click Software Update.
- Please tick the box to automatically keep my Mac up to date.
If you want the help of professionals who can download the macOS Big Sur in your Mac, you can choose our MacBook Repair Oxford and let our experts do the task for you.